Will Kop King Kenny’s cups runneth over?
As we approach the business end of the season, I ask a few searching questions for you to muse over for a few minutes …
1) Will Chelsea give its owner a bumper summer holiday by winning the 2011-2012 Champions League? After so many misses, they take on tournament favourites Barcelona in the semi-finals. Or will “interim” boss Roberto Di Matteo fall short again and leave the West London big-spenders looking for yet another coach to take them on into 2013 and beyond?
2) Can Manchester United, who now have their noses in front of season-long pace-setters Manchester City, sneak over the finishing line to collect their 20th top-flight title and deny out-of-sorts City their first in 44 years?
3) Could Kop King Kenny Dalglish be the man that brings European football back to Liverpool after a season of watching on the sidelines? Or is an FA Cup run and a Carling Cup victory the best he can wish for this season?
4) Have any of the bottom six the bottle to put a winning run together to escape relegation to the Championship? Or will it be nip and tuck until the final game?
5) Surely England cannot make any headway in this summer’s European Championship finals without a permanent coach in place. Or will that small matter spur on an underachieving country to a historic victory and a place in English folklore?
6) Will clubs who come up from the Championship be facing a season of eternal struggle? Or will they emulate the successes of Swansea and Norwich and have a go at their much richer and stronger Premier League rivals to defy the odds and stay among England’s elite?
7) London Olympics 2012 … does anyone really care or has the Olympic brand been undermined by the greed and the commercial sale of what was technically an amateur competition?
8) Finally, professional athletes who are struck down by life-threatening illnesses in their prime. What more can be done medically to ensure that what has happened to Fabrice Muamba and Stan Petrov this past month won’t happen to players in the future? Or is it a game of chance that these things occur when least expected?